BEFORE YOU COMPETE, WRITE YOUR SCRIPT: 2'WYTH's (#gbeduPoet) GAME PLAN FOR WAR OF WORDS 8


BEFORE YOU COMPETE, WRITE YOUR SCRIPT: 2'WYTH's (#gbeduPoet) GAME PLAN FOR WAR OF WORDS 8

I met Cephas at Lagos Poetrython, I was endeared to him because he was unique in his poetry style like me. He does poetry with a blend of poetry and comedy with infusion of Pidgin English whereas 2'WYTH (#gbeduPoet) does poetry with a blend of poetry and music of different genres with infusion of Pidgin English too. At the end of his performance, we exchanged pleasantries and contacts and I followed him on Instagram and he followed back. After that day, my usual me, once I have you on my Contact List on WhatsApp, most times, when I post New Content, I share or broadcast to my WhatsApp Contacts. But Cephas has never replied my WhatsApp Broadcast for once.
One day, I was online, all of a sudden, he chatted me and the conversation moved from normal exchange of pleasantries to the main reason why he chatted me. He said, "I get 5 free slot for Poets who will Enter for War of Words 8 without paying 5k Registration Fee with Terms and Conditions Applied though." Initially, I wasn't interested but I played along to get the full gist. After that chat, I unwillingly agreed to compete. He asked me to do the following:
✓ Follow @WordUp411 on Instagram
✓ Sign up on Poetreel
✓ Do a 1 minute video and post with some hashtags.
The next day, I couldn't finish the task, he chatted back to encourage me to finish the Registration Process, so that the Slot he reserved for me won't be taken by another. I heeded to his next chat and did just that.
After concluding the Registration Process, I researched about War of Words and asked myself, "This is not my kind of competition because my brand/style of poetry is too loud and out of the box compared to Slam Poetry, where you'll have to perform by an age-old Rules. I felt this is too boxy for my loud kind/brand/style of poetry called #gbeduPoetry, where I do poetry with a blend of poetry and music of different genres with infusion of Pidgin English, that kind of poetry you can dance to.
Two days after I registered for the competition, I gave up competing because the competition won't give liberty to my brand of poetry. However, a week to the competition, due to the constant mail notifications I received from the Organiser, Olumide Holloway aka King Olulu. I decided to just compete despite the fact that the Rules of the competition don't favour my brand of Poetry because of the following reasons:
✓ Do it to support the War of Words Brand, because if such a wonderful platform is ignored by poets and the Organiser's dream fades, it's a loss to the Poetry Industry that we are building in Lagos and Nigeria at large.
✓ Break the Rule and create a unique Character. So, I was that poet that broke the Rules of the Competition and earned himself a unique spot in the heart of the Judges and the Audience.
✓ Since I knew I won't win because I won't play by the Rules of the Competition, I decided to just go and showcase my brand/style of Poetry called #gbeduPoetry on that platform. The script I wrote for myself for this Competition is, "I'm not competing to win, I'm competing to showcase my brand/style of poetry, #gbeduPoetry: that brand of poetry you can dance to...a blend of poetry and different genres of music.
So on that day, I wrote my script, I acted my script and my script was appreciated by the Judges and the Audience (online and offline); they got to drink from the well of my brand/style of Poetry called #gbeduPoetry. I got what I wanted, I achieved my aim.
Let me play you a little tape of what happened that day:
✓ All the 10 Contestants were called out on Stage to pick tags on secret ballot. Fortunately or unfortunately, I picked Number 1, he who will open the Competition with his performance.
✓ My first performance dazed the Judges and the Audience (offline and online) because I'm did what has never been done by a Contestant in the history of War of Words. So, I was judged/scored based on how they felt about my strange performance away from the norm kind of Slam Poetry performance. At the end of the First Round, I scored the lowest (I expected it, I wasn't surprised).
✓ The 2nd Performance was themed "Uniting and Uplifting Africa" and it was supposed to be a face-off between me and Cephas (the poet who informed me about the competition). Although, I I have written a poem about the theme but in course my research, I didn't feel like performing that poem eventhough I rehearsed it because it's not about writing and performing fiction about the theme, "Uniting and Uplifting Africa" for the purpose of a competition, so I sticked to my script and performed a medley of "Hoeinyi! Hor! and Meninum! Kelinum!" off my debut Spoken Word Artistic Poetry Album titled CHAPMAN which is available on iTunes Deezer Spotify Amazon, SoundCloud, Tidal etc. He won, I lost, because he played by the Rules of the competition.

*Note: My new #gbeduPoetry jam titled "Ungbemgbe" is dropping on November 9 on CD Baby. My promise to the world is I'll make them dance to Poetry. Mark your Calendar... November 9, 2019.*

After the 2nd Performance, I was out of the Competition because I scored the lowest points, but not out of the mind of the Judges and Audience.
However, losing out from the competition this early wasn't a surprise to me since I already knew my game plan, so I never felt bad like other contestants who lost in course of the competition. I felt good about myself because before the competition, I wrote a script for myself and I got what I wanted because at the end of the competition, the Judges commended my Boldness to showcase a unique brand off Slam Poetry culture and my smooth rhythm and they encouraged my to keep pushing my brand of poetry, #gbeduPoetry.
Therefore, my last word for everyone out there is, before you compete, write your script; in the end, we are not remembered by what we won but by the impact we created. Don't allow life to happen to you, rather, happen to life. Again, my research about competition is, "Most winners of competitions are not always the Winners/Leaders of the Entertainment Industry. For instance, Project Fame, West African Idol, Nigerian Idol, Street to Star. So rather than competing to win, compete to win the heart of the people (Judges and Audience).

2'WYTH #gbeduPoet
Instagram/Twitter: @imjust2wyth
WhatsApp: 08103107004
CHAPMAN by 2'WYTH Links on iTunes, Deezer, Amazon etc:

Comments

History of Ungbemgbe

MY AFRIMA AWARDS 2019 REVIEW

DEAR FUTURE by #gbeduPoet