BLACK AFARA

BLACK AFARA

Growing up as a child, I was that fragile, pampered son,
Because I was the Otatane-oso of my parents,
The first to my dad, the second to my mum.
I was the German floor that planted the feet of my mum
Deep down the foundation of her husband's house,
After two successful, beautiful Bride Prices on the Showcase.
So I came, not just an answer to their prayers
But a pillar to make the house stand
In case of more storeys to fulfill their skyscraper dream.
Luckily for me, I was born in the village called Usokun,
The Nazareth, kids kick against in the womb
When they are given their Letter of Posting:
PPA (Place of Primary Assignment)
Like Youth Corpers in the Orientation Camp.
Childhood was fun because we got all we wanted,
Either by a frown or by a cry.
But when adulthood came into the picture,
We knew that Adulthood is a Scam.
Because now, even when we fast and pray,
If we don't work for it, even heaven will deny us her Visa.

Anytime my feet touch down the soil of my birth,
There's a holy anger in me that scream,
"You have a role to play to change the narrative."
Whenever I walk the streets, the uplo of Usokun,
I don't see the rusted mud houses
And the unplanned block houses,
All I see is a city built on a hill,
The very apple of the eye
Of those who have high taste.

If mortal men built cities in the Bible without technology,
Then, with technology, we will build smart cities
Coz my village is a continent I believe in,
The identity that gives me confidence in the world,
That I'm not a creeping plant growing on other trees,
I am available tree whose roots like the Black Afara commune with my ancestors daily for guidance.

Download Ungbemgbe here:
Download on CD Baby:
http://store.cdbaby.com/cd/2wyth6

Listen on SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/otatane-oso-andrew/ungbemgbe-by-2wyth-gbedupoet

Comments

History of Ungbemgbe

MY AFRIMA AWARDS 2019 REVIEW

DEAR FUTURE by #gbeduPoet